To permit businesses in Australia to deal with an array of government departments and agencies using a particular identification number the Australian Business Number (ABN) was introduced on 1 July 2000. You can access the publicly available details enclosed in the ABR by the ABN Lookup website at www.abr.business.gov.au. Part of the Australian Business Register (ABR) is ABN registration details, which the ATO maintains on behalf of the Commonwealth.
Australian Business Register
Australian Business Numbers
The ABN is a public number which does not restore your tax file number. The Australian Business Number is your key to a faster and smarter way of dealing with other businesses and government.
Australian Business Number features and benefits:
- Make easy a single business activity statement
- Helps you claim goods and services tax (GST) credits
- Stops businesses deducting pay as you go (PAYG) withholding tax from payments to you
- Allows businesses to simply confirm your details for ordering and invoicing purposes
- Lets you claim any energy grants credits that you succeed for
All non-profit organizations with an annually proceeds of $150,000 or more must register for GST and hence require an ABN. If your business has a lesser yearly turnover, then it's up to you whether you register. Businesses that require to be endorsed as a gift deductible recipient or an income tax exempt charity or both, need an ABN.
Australian Business Register - Australian Business Numbers - www.abr.business.gov.au
From the Australian Business Register (ABR) website www.abr.business.gov.au, you can apply for an ABN online. Call the ATO on 13 28 66, if you want additional assistance with your application.
You will generally receive online notification of your ABN instantly upon completion of the ABN application but you must have supplied all the information required.
ABN will not be allocated directly, if all the all the information required has not been provided, or where more verification action is essential. Under this situation, your application will be processed manually by the ATO. For applying for an ABN online or by paper application, the ATO does not impose a fee. If you consult a tax agent to complete an application for you then only they may charge a fee for their services.
You Might Also Like :
- ASIC Free Company Name ABN Search Australia by search.asic.gov.au
- Www.tax.ny.gov: e-File, Pay & Check Status of your New York Income Tax
- How to Login & access Bendigo Bank's e-Banking Service?
- Birla Sun Life Insurance Offers Online Payment at BirlaSunlife.com
- The Australian Open 2010 Official Website(AustralianOpen.com) Information
- MyGBClaim.com: Solve queries by connecting claimants and providers