Extensive bus service is operated by Madison Metro Transit throughout the city of Madison, Wisconsin and to the surrounding communities of Middleton, Fitchburg, and Verona. In 2008, System wide, fixed route rideship was 13.4 million. Supplemental transit services are also provided by Metro Transit to Madison middle and high schools through routes 90, 91, 92 and 93, open to the general public, but designed to offer additional peak services during school starting and dismissal times. The University of Wisconsin–Madison campus, the Eagle Heights University apartments, and some residential areas near campus via routes 80, 81, 82, 84 and 85 are served by Metro Transit.
Screenshot of www.cityofmadison.com/metro (City of Madison : Metro Transit Tracker)
The route network pays attention on hubs at the Capitol Square in downtown Madison and five transfer point in outer part of the city. Routes are loosely numbered by part of town served. To decide quickly where to spend gobs of federal stimulus money headed its way from the federal economic stimulus package, Dave Cieslewicz, Madison Mayor, reflecting on the need of city says, “It’s a good problem to have,” he adds “There’s probably tens of millions of dollars coming to the city,” and “I've asked each of the managers who have stimulus money coming to them, or who can apply for stimulus money, to put together a memo to me by end of [this] week outlining their suggestions on how the money might be used.”
President Barack Obama signed the voluminous economic stimulus bill last week and reporting back description of what’s in it for Madison. For new capital spending, $9.5 million in transit funds are earmarked among the bigger items. To order 18 new hybrid buses, the city plans to use the money and in 2010, these will be delivered to replace buses retiring from Madison Metro’s aging fleet. Five existing Metro hybrids, added to the fleet in 2007 will be joined by the buses, which cost about $500,000 each. According to the hybrids, “Cieslewicz, have worked out well. They’re quiet, emit much less exhaust than regular diesel buses, and get an estimated 20% to 30% better gas mileage.” He added, “As an environmentalist,” and “18 new hybrid buses is pretty exciting.” “The federal funds cannot be used to avoid bus fare hikes,” added by him.
City of Madison : Metro Transit Tracker
Real-time arrival estimates and bus locator map information for every stop is provided at the Madison Metro Transit website. You can view text-based arrival time information or track actual bus location on Google Maps or Virtual Earth. You can get information about transit tracker on your mobile. You can watch the video, Live Bus Departure Times, Live Bus Locations; get information about Stop Tracker, Map Tracker at the Madison Metro Transit website.
User Notes & Tips:
- Arrival times are an evolving estimate based on the current schedule status of a bus at its current location, plus the amount of time the bus is scheduled to need to travel from its current location to the bus stop being estimated (actual travel time may vary due to traffic conditions and weather).
- Buses estimated to be running late at a stop further along their route may get back on schedule by the time they reach that stop - it is recommended to refresh browsers as arrival times near.
- Service detours and stop closures are not reflected. Click "detours" for complete information.
- During special events or severe weather, buses running late may be rescheduled or replaced with extra vehicles.
- Buses only wait at time point bus stops when running earlier than scheduled times. Buses may pass intermediate stops ahead of any estimated information - passengers are encouraged to be at bus stop five minutes before estimated information.
You Might Also Like :
- Get New Jersey Transit Bus Schedule at www.njtransit.com
- Seattle Sound Transit Schedules, Fares & Trip Planner
- Jason Mesnick's Ex-Wife Madison Wynn Pics
- How to use PaceBus.com for Pace Bus Schedules, Route Maps & Trip Planner
- SBS transit Bus Guide, Fare & Timetables at SBStransit.com.sg
- TransitLink Bus Guide for Singapore