Now-a-days the use of the internet is growing up, so if you are worried about your kids, as they should not access inappropriate content on the Internet, you need to install a parental control filter or software. On Wednesday, June 23 2010 OpenDNS declared a latest free parental controls service named "FamilyShield" which particularly designed for blocking adult, porn and other unwanted web sites. OpenDNS offers a secure, configurable, optimized DNS service. Set up OpenDNS parental control for Internet is safe and easiest way to keep your kids safe from online. It does not require installing software. It works on all Internet-connected devices including game consoles, PCs (Windows-based or otherwise) and even mobile phones connecting via WiFi.
Logo of OpenDNS:
OpenDNS is a free Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service. www.opendns.com is official website of OpenDNS. OpenDNS is providing free security and infrastructure services which make the Internet safer through integrated Web content filtering, anti-phishing and DNS. Consumers and network administrators are enabled by OpenDNS services for making safe their networks from online threats, reduce costs, and enforce Internet-use policies. In the world, there are millions of people and organizations using OpenDNS.
Most of the leading Internet parental controls software are based on subscription, so if you want to use it you need to renew the software license yearly just like as antivirus software. But if you use free services of Open DNS, you do not requires subscription. OpenDNS is a substitute for your ISP’s own DNS servers. When you use the OpenDNS service, every webpage address you type into your browser is first checked by OpenDNS own database of phishing, an adult or other blocked sites. After the passes, the webpage will be allowed to display. OpenDNS functions and uses PhishTank for phishing data. Yahoo! Mail also uses Phish Tank to protect all account holders. St. Bernard’s iGuard is used for Adult site data which is a human-reviewed URL database from St. Bernard Software.
OpenDNS's CEO Davis Ulevitch clarified that FamilyShield is a subset of the full OpenDNS service (also free). Users of the full service must create an account and (in some cases) deal with dynamic IP addressing. In exchange they can control which of over 50 content categories will be blocked, whitelist or blacklist specific sites, and enjoy automatic blocking of phishing sites and malware-hosting sites.
Feature of OpenDNS FamilyShield parental control:
- Protect your home Internet-connected device: Set up the FamilyShield on your router and computer which protect your all Internet connected device in your home and also your kids' Xbox, Wii, DS, iPad, and cell phone.
- Up to-date Web filter: This web filter block a continually updated (24/7) list of adult Web sites before reaching your computer.
- Provide built-in security: FamilyShield directly blocks identity theft or "phishing" websites and virus-spreading malware websites. It takes the guesswork out of identifying fraudulent sites.
- Faster and more reliable Internet: OpenDNS’ services are used by millions around the world including thousands of schools, businesses, and homes. It provides most reliable and fast services to its subscribers.
How to set up OpenDNS FamilyShield parental control?
You can set up OpenDNS FamilyShied parental control on your router or computer. When you set up it on your broadband router, you are protecting the whole home or business network. If you set up it on computer, you are only protecting that PC. At www.opendns.com you can get installation guides for most popular brands of routers or computer by directly or by entering your email address. The set up process is different for various systems of computer and routers' brand. The router's brands include D-link, Apple, Belk in, 3Com, Netcomm, SMC, and more or computer operating systems including Windows XP, Vista, Window 7, 2000/ NT, ME, Mac OS X Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, OS 9, Linux SUSE, Ubuntu even PocketPC and Nintendo Wii.
To set up OpenDNS FamilyShied parental control on your router:
1. Open the preferences for your router: The preferences are set in your web browser, via a URL with numbers e.g. http://192.168.0.1. You may need a password.
You set the router password long ago and cannot remember it now thus you can often reset the password to the manufacturer default by pressing a button on the router itself.
2. Find the DNS server settings: Search for the letters DNS next to a field that allows two or three sets of numbers, each divided into 4 groups of one to three numbers.
Here is a an example of DNS record.
3. Put in the OpenDNS server addresses as your DNS server settings and save/apply:
Before entering the OpenDNS IPs addresses, enter your current settings.
To set up OpenDNS FamilyShied parental control on your computer:
For example: Configuration for Windows 7
1. Select Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Click on Network and selection.
3. Click on Network and Sharing Center then click on 'Local Area Connection' under 'Active Networks.'
4. After that you get 'Local Area Connection Status' page and here click the 'Properties' button.
5. Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and click 'Properties'.
6. Choose 'Use the following DNS server addresses:'
7. Enter OpenDNS' addresses in the 'Preferred DNS' server and 'Alternate DNS' server fields.
8. Click 'OK' button, and close the Network and Sharing Center window.
To check FamilyShield is working or not, therefore visit http://www.internetbadguys.com. On this website if you see a message that the page is blocked by OpenDNS, then FamilyShield is working correctly, and you're done. But you see a message that this is a sample site, and then FamilyShield is not working yet, so again read the setting up FamilyShield instructions for your computer or router and try again. Even though it does not work, then contact to OpenDNS support team.
You can get more information about setting up FamilyShield instructions for your computer or router at https://store.opendns.com/familyshield/setup/.
You Might Also Like :
- American and Porn Addiction - Statistics
- Login Guide to free AOL Email UK(AOL.Co.Uk)
- How to Install BSNL EVDO Card : Installation Guide
- Login to GoToMyPC.com and access your PC Remotely
- Download Morro Antivirus Free for Windows 7 from Microsoft.com
- How to Sign Up at AOLMail.Com Free for AOL eMail Service : Login Guide