Body removes foreign material or mucus from the lungs and throat by means of coughing. Foreign material irritates air passages and so by removing this material, the lungs and lower respiratory passages become sterile. Coughing is a common symptom when the airways become tight. Cough is not itself a disease but it is a symptom of other diseases. If it persists for long time, it can cause other problems. Cough is a common symptom of tuberculosis and asthma.
Cough can be classified into two types:
- Phlegmatic cough
- Dry cough
Phlegmatic cough is also known as productive cough. It produces phlegm or mucus from the lungs. Dry cough is a nonproductive cough which is dry and doesn’t produce any mucus from the lungs. Cough is not restricted to any particular age group; it can affect the person of all ages. Depending on duration of cough, it can be acute or chronic. Acute cough lasts for few days while chronic cough lasts for a few weeks. Coughing is escorted with a typical noise from the act of exhaling air suddenly in order to clear the mucus or the blocking. Scientifically, cough is a reflex action which is initiated by stimulation of sensory nerves in the lining of the respiratory passages.
Causes of Cough:
- Weather changes
- Inflammation of larynx or pharynx
- Allergies such as dust, smoke, pollen grains and chemical fumes
Natural Home Remedies for Cough and Cold:
Traditionally prescribed home remedies for cough:
- When honey is taken with black pepper, it will loosen the mucous and make you spit the mucus. This will be helpful in throwing the irritating substances of the trachea and help you in treating cough. This is one of the effective cough home remedies.
- Mix one tea spoon of pure honey and a pinch of grounded white pepper. Regular consumption of this 2-3 times a day for about 4-5 days will cure your cough. This is one of the important home remedies for cough.
- If you have cough due to cold then just drink tea made of ginger 3-4 times a day or just eat raw ginger, this will subside your cough. It is one of the effective remedy for cough.
- Prepare a cough syrup from baked onion juice, comfrey tea, and honey. Drink it daily and your cough will subside.
- Also, you can use gargle with warm water to which lot of salt is added. Use this gargle as many times as possible during the day. This will help you to clear mucus caught in the throat.
- Just take a spoonful of honey with few drops of vodka or brandy before going to bed, is another effective treatment for cough.
- To a vessel filled with boiling water, add turmeric and inhale the fumes. It is also beneficial for controlling cough. This is a good natural remedy for cough.
- Consuming red raspberry, honey suckle, or liquor ice tea with honey is helpful in treating cough in 2-3 days.
- Combine 5ml of fresh tulsi (Ocimum sanctum, Holy Basil) and 10 ml of pure honey. Consume this daily at least twice a day.
- Take 5 ml of onion juice and mix it with 10 ml of pure honey. Take this mixture at least twice a day. This will relieve your cough and will also help in soothing throat. This is one of the best cough cures.
- Mix one cup of orange juice and 2 tablespoons of honey. Drink it. This is a good cough remedy.
- Take 1-2 gm powder of black pepper, long pepper, and dry ginger in equal ratios. Take this mixture of powder with honey, 2-3 times a day.
- In warm milk, mix 1-2 tsp of pure home made turmeric powder and drink it twice a day for coughs of a bacterial origin. Your cough will be gone within 2 days by using this method. This is one of the useful home remedies for cough.
- In case of severe and chronic cough, add crushed 2-3 garlic and some cloves in to a glass of milk or water. Then, heat the mixture till it reduces to half the original content. Filter this and add a little sugar to it for improving the taste. Drink this twice a day and continue this treatment for at least a week to see visible results.
- Simply take plain water in a large vessel and boil it. Now inhale these vapors of steam by covering your head region with the towel. Taking deep breaths in between is advisable. You may cough in the beginning and every thing will be fine in 10 minutes, it will help you later to throw out the mucus.
- Grind one part of cloves and two parts of pomegranate rind. Mix ¼ tsp. of it with ½ tsp. of honey and lick it thrice daily. It will cure the problem of cough.
- Boil 2 tsp. each of aniseed and caraway seeds in ½ liter of water, mix 2 tsp. of honey and give three tsp. of it to the child every hour. This will provide relief from cough.
Diet tips for cough:
- Cinnamon: Suck on pieces of cinnamon to control cough.
- Turnip: Boil turnip in water, strain, mix sugar and drink it. It will be beneficial.
- Spinach: Gargling with lukewarm spinach juice is beneficial in relieving cough.
- Grapes: Eating grapes provides strength to the lungs. It helps in the expectoration of mucus. Do not drink water after eating grapes.
How cough can be controlled?
Though coughs are involuntary spasms of the respiratory tract, it can be controlled by adults. Here are some things that you can do so that cough will not happen at all.
- Intake of cold water and other chilled products like ice creams soft drinks should be avoided. If not completely but at least they can be restricted.
- Certain aroma is not suitable to you so be far from them.
- If any member in your house has cough problem, keep children away from them and follow hygienic conditions.
- Smoking is the major reason for cough. So, quit smoking.
- Avoid crowded places as cough is infectious, keep handkerchief in front of your mouth whenever you cough or sneeze.
- Before eating, wash your hands properly and take a bath if possible after coming from outside.
- If it is possible to take then consume one tea spoon of honey daily.
- Stop consumption of alcohol as they decrease blood sugar level and causes pain in head.
- If you don’t know exact reason for cough, then you have to be very careful in selecting foods as some of them can aggravate coughs. Avoid sour substances if they are not suitable like curd, pickles, lemon etc.
- Allergens like dust, smoke, fumes, and gases may be the cause for cough. So, be away from this and also you can cover your face with a handkerchief if possible. If you are riding vehicle frequently than make use of mask or other such products to cover your self.
Homemade Cough Syrup: Natural Home Remedies for Persistent Coughs video from Youtube:
You Might Also Like :